Contracts Manager / Legal Counsel
Location: Huddersfield, UK
As a member of the David Brown Santasalo UK legal team you will work closely with and report to the UK head of Legal who will be responsible for supervising your work but it is anticipated that you will be given increased autonomy over time.
You will be responsible for assisting with the management and handling of DBS legal affairs, and will be expected to offer timely, commercially astute and legally sound advice and assistance to personnel within all departments, and at all levels of seniority, of the group organisation. Commercial contracts and dispute resolution work will be a significant part of your daily workload but you will also be exposed to a broad range of other legal work (including compliance, intellectual property and commercial property work).
The successful candidate must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
UK Security Clearance will be required to SC level.
Job Responsibilities / Key Accountabilities
- Draft, review and negotiate a broad range of commercial contracts, including complex supply and purchasing contracts, intellectual property licences, non-disclosure agreements, agency and distribution agreements.
- Assist with management of the DBS’s property portfolio, including reviewing of commercial leases and licenses to occupy; working with external counsel as appropriate.
- Counsel, advise, and consult internal and external stakeholders, based on accurate interpretation and due consideration of relevant documents and information.
- Assist with development and delivery of internal guidelines, policies, template, precedents and legal training to drive best practice in the wider UK business.
- Assist with the investigation, management and settlement or resolution of disputes including liaising with, outside counsel where required.
- Assist with the protection of the DBS’s intellectual property interests in conjunction with relevant senior staff.
- Compliance Lead for the UK including overall responsibility for the group data protection requirements.
- Represent DBS’ interests and liaise directly with customers, suppliers and negotiating teams.
Job Requirements / Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of commercial contract drafting and negotiation. Required
- Experience of dispute management, preferably in an engineering context. Preferable
- Demonstrate sound legal and commercial judgement, and make clear recommendations to stakeholders as to what you consider to be the best course of action
- Negotiate directly with third party customers and suppliers, sometimes with minimal guidance/assistance from relevant stakeholders
- Foster strong working relationships with internal stakeholders, and to understand their needs and motivations
- Communicate clearly and concisely, with a minimum of legal jargon
- Respond to requests for legal support in a timely fashion
- Deal with multiple work projects simultaneously
Qualifications and Experience
- Law Degree or equivalent: Preferred
- English: Required