Senior Design Engineer
Location: Huddersfield, UK
Acting principally under the direction of the Engineering Manager and/or Project Leader, to work flexibly within the Engineering team on assigned gearbox design projects and associated product engineering activities. The scope of the tasks will primarily comprise/address the mechanical design and detailing of high integrity gearboxes, components and assemblies, but will include other supporting systems and equipment such as couplings, instrumentation, lubrication, materials selection, documentation and test rig design as necessary.
Liaison with other engineering team members, clients and other DBS functional teams during project work is an integral part of the role.
Dependent upon work flow and commitments, the role may involve secondment or assignment between the various DB engineering sub-teams (Defence, HX/HS/Industrial, Aftermarket, Development).
Job Responsibilities / Key Accountabilities
- Strong core design skills, competence in materials selection, gear rating (ideally, not essential at first appointment), shaft and bearing analysis, rotor dynamics, structural components, couplings, lubrication systems, relevant instrumentation and control systems
- 2 & 3D CAD usage at expert level, Solid Edge preferred. Create component and assembly drawings. Drawing and technical documentation checking. BOM and gear data generation and engineering change control processing
- Work with & support other team members, including those in adjacent disciplines including Analysis & Development. Lead engineering tasks on assigned projects
- lnterpretation and comprehension of customer specifications, design standards including geometric tolerancing
- Create deliverable documentation including Proposals, Manuals, Installation and Maintenance instructions as necessary
- lnterpretation and comprehension of customer and Standards requirements (eg., performance, safety conformance)
- Technical liaison and problem solving with Production engineering and Supply Chain teams
- Develop designs and/or re-engineering of existing designs for new applications
- Engineering design of geared transmission systems and components
- Design of test equipment and procedures for gearboxes
Job Requirements / Knowledge and Experience
- Commercially aware - understand need for cost effectiveness in engineering solutions
- General/outline familiarity with the operating systems of an engineering business
- Able to work effectively in a small team with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of Machinery Safety regulations and requirements
- Understanding of product design and analysis methods
- At least 3 years in a relevant engineering design role
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques
- Engineering knowledge of, for example, aspects including gear rating techniques, shaft and coupling design, lubrication systems, test rig design, bolted joints/keys/fits, fabrication design
- Strong understanding of gearbox technology; operating behaviour, associated components and systems, tradeoffs, materials, architectures and state of the art design
- 5 years or more in an engineering design role/environment involving rotating machinery
- Experienced in the application of Machinery Safety regulations and requirements
- SAP aware/user, in context of engineering design data specification
- Good knowledge of manufacturing techniques, SAP user
- Knowledge of materials and processing techniques
Qualifications and Experience
- Function & Technical Skill in Gear Design, Bearing Rating, Mnf know-how: Preferred
- BA / BS degree in Mechanical Engineering: Preferred
- Function & Technical Skill in Mech Design: Required
- Computer skills in 3D CAD, Excel, Word: Required
- Computer Skills in SAP: Preferred
- English: Required
Please be aware that many roles working for DBS UK will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.
All candidates must meet Right to Work in the UK criteria and achieve the required security and clearance requirements to undertake this role..