Team Member - Heat Treatment
Location: Huddersfield, UK
Heat treatment operators are responsible for the machines and furnaces that apply heat treatments to components and make it ready for use in products. The components produced are used in the construction of a range of items including cars, aircraft, trains, oil rigs and specialized items for the armed forces.
Job Responsibilities / Key Accountabilities
- Work in a safe and responsible manner and follow company Health and Safety guide lines (a copy of which will be issued to you).
- Monitoring and reporting on all aspects effecting processing of product.
- Work to written instructions, procedures and quality standards.
- Furnace operation to ensure high process standards achieved.
- Prepare components for processing, make up and breakdown.
- To follow any other reasonable request from management.
- Contribute to a clean, tidy and safe working environment.
- Be prepared to train on the quality aspects of the site.
- Goods in / out responsibilities.
- Supporting the planning work.
Heat treatment operators use and oversee a range of equipment, including:
Sealed Quench Furnaces, Pit Carburising Furnaces, Tempering Furnaces, Induction Hardening, Die Quenching, Straightening, Phosphate coating, Overhead Crane & FLT.
Knowledge and Experience
- Ensuring the machinery is in good repair, performing basic maintenance and calling for technical help if a problem arises
- Completing NDT activities such as MPI, UT and Hardness Checks (Training will be provided if required)
- Experienced in various material testing processes, e.g. Vickers, HRC, Brinell
- Setting times and temperatures and making adjustments where necessary
- Assist in Heat Treat Department with continuous improvement initiatives
- Using forklift trucks to load the components ready for the furnaces
- Unloading the furnaces and dealing safely with any waste products
- Knowledge of relevant manufacturing related quality procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively within working environment
- Flexible approach with willingness to work as part of a team
- Blasting components with a stream of shot to clean them
- Calm under pressure and responsive to change
- Support the NDT Team as and when required
- Experienced in all Heat Treat processes
- Using computer-controlled equipment
- Able to identify and resolve problems
- Cooling (quenching) components oil
- Recording results on a computer
- Able to work on own initiative
- Good communication skills
- Education / Degree(s): Minimum: GCSE
- Field of Study: Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Skills: Basic
- Functional & Technical Skills Required: Shift Work - Required, Heat Treatment - Required, NDT - Desirable & Metallurgical - Desirable
- Language: English Required
Please be aware that many roles working for DBS UK will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.
All candidates must meet Right to Work in the UK criteria and achieve the required security and clearance requirements to undertake this role..